My mom would also say, "If you want to sew, I will buy you the supplies." She wanted my brothers and sisters to develop talents and ,more importantly, to be busy. In reaching this goal she often bought projects for us to make.

One summer she gave me and each of my siblings a hooked rug project. Hooked rugs are quite simple, but they require patience and persistence to complete. So 25 years later, my parents still found a lot of unfinished rugs on the shelved in the storage room. To clean it up, they decided to re-gift and give each grandchild a rug to work on. (They actually had enough to go around).
On their last visit to California, they brought a rug for Sienna and a pillow for Breven. My parents worked with both Sienna and Breven while they were visiting and gave both of them a good start. Sienna and Breven were excited to continue the projects after Grandma and Grandpa left.
Sienna's rug was still brand new and never started, but Breven got my pillow that I started when I was around 6 or 7 years old. It was more than half way done, but still had a lot of work to go. Breven and I worked together putting the hook in the correct spot and pulling the yarn through. Breven even enjoyed sewing the background. All we have left is to turn it into a pillow. We are pretty excited to finish such a project. I think it it funny to finish a project 30 years later--even projects can go full circle.
Thanks Mom for exposing me to a variety of crafts and teaching me to enjoy doing projects.
Happy Mother's Day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment